Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Learning to Crochet.

This is something I have wanted to do for such a long time, and I have attempted it with the help of a couple of books and YouTube.  I found it really difficult, to follow the instructions and working out the diagrams, concentrating on the videos whilst attempting to do it. I gave up.

Then about a month ago, I saw a 'Learn to Crochet' Course being held locally in one of the independent shops in town.  I signed up instantly, knowing that having someone there with me , showing it to me and explaining it to me would make it so much easier.

Monday, was the day of the course, 3 hours, tea and cake included!

There were 5 of us, varying ages, all inexperienced. We were given a hook and got to choose a ball of yarn, and were shown the different stitches. I have to say that to start with a felt very cack-handed, but very quickly found my technique improving and the stitches flowing more smoothly.  I admit, it's far from perfect but I wrote notes and have bought them home to practice with as well as purchasing a Sewfie starter kit.  I really hope I can get into it, because I found it quite therapeutic.

My real reason for wanting to learn, is for the benefit of my fingers. Having RA means that I get a lot of pain in my fingers and thumbs and some days they are very stiff and sore. My late Nan was riddled with Rheumatoid Arthritis but she always Crocheted, (I still have my 70's coloured baby blanket) so I am hoping I  can follow in her footsteps.

So here it is, my first attempt.  IT isn't anything, just a practice sample of the different stitches. It took 3 hours of exceptionally hard concentration! (and the cake was lovely!)



No comments:

Post a Comment